World Cup host Qatar has scrapped the requirement for visitors to obtain a negative COVID-19 test before departing for the Gulf Arab state, its health ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
Earlier, Qatar told fans attending the World Cup that they must present proof of a negative COVID-19 test regardless of their vaccination status, before departing by air or at border crossings.
Qatar is expecting an unprecedented 1.2 million visitors from November 20 to December 20. 18 tournament.
Residents of Qatar no longer have to take a COVID-19 test within 24 hours of returning to the country from abroad.
The Department of Health has also dropped the requirement for adults to show their COVID-19 status on a government-run contact-tracing smartphone app called Ehteraz before entering stadiums or other establishments like sports venues. shops and restaurants.
Visitors and residents should always submit the application before entering a healthcare facility, according to the statement.
Qatar is easing restrictions as “the number of COVID-19 cases (continues) to decline globally and in Qatar, and the ongoing rollout of Qatar’s national COVID-19 vaccination program,” the statement said.
Last week, Qatar relaxed its mask rules and now only requires masks for people visiting health facilities.
Qatar, which has a population of nearly 3 million, has recorded more than 440,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 692 deaths from the virus, according to data from the Ministry of Public Health.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *