Arsenal defender Pablo Mari is hospitalized following a knife attack that left another dead, Sky Italy reports.

Mari, 29, was among six people attacked while shopping with his family at Assago shopping center in the Italian city of Milan.

He is currently on loan at Monza in Serie A.

Image:
Photo: AP

Mari was taken to hospital after the attack, where he is believed to be conscious and not in serious condition.

He will undergo surgery tomorrow to reduce muscle damage to his back.

The club’s managing director, Adriano Galliani, was quoted by Sky Sports Italy as saying: “Pablo Mari had a fairly deep injury to his back, which fortunately did not affect vital organs such as the lungs or others.

“His life is not in danger, he should recover quickly.”

He said Mari was punched in the face before being stabbed in the back, but was “saved” due to his height of 6ft 4in.

Mari is recovering in Niguarda hospital and told Galliani he wants to return to training on Monday.

Monza's Pablo Mari celebrates after scoring his team's second goal during the Italian Serie A soccer match between Monza and Spezia at the U-Power stadium in Monza, Italy, Sunday October 9, 2022. Photo: AP
Medics transport an injured person to an ambulance at the scene of an attack in Milan, Italy, Thursday, Oct. 27, 2022. A knife-wielding man stabbed five people inside a shopping center in the south from Milan on Thursday.  (LaPresse via AP)
Image:
Photo: AP

Arsenal FC said: “We are all shocked to hear the terrible news of the stabbing in Italy which has taken a number of people to hospital, including our centre-back Pablo Mari.

“We have been in contact with Pablo’s agent who told us he was in hospital and not seriously injured.

“Our hearts go out to Pablo and the other victims of this terrible incident.”

A supermarket worker in his 30s was killed in the attack, Sky Italy reported, adding that Mari and three other people had been taken to hospital and a sixth person had been injured but did not need help. hospital care.

Sky Italy said investigators had ruled out terrorism and police had arrested a 46-year-old man with mental health issues.

It was reported that he grabbed a knife from the supermarket shelf before launching the attack.

Supermarket chain Carrefour said police and ambulance crews responded immediately to calls alerting them to the attack.

He expressed his sympathy to the employees and customers affected by the attack, adding that he was offering them psychological support.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *