The person who left the scene of a deadly attack in Istanbul has been arrested.
Six people were killed and 81 others injured on Sunday when an explosion rocked a busy pedestrian street off Istiklal Avenue in central Istanbul in what Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan called “smells of terrorism”.
A mysterious woman had been seen sitting on a bench for about 40 minutes before the explosion. She got up right after it happened and left.
According to the Turkish Anadolu news agency, the country’s interior minister, Suleyman Soylu, said that person had now been arrested.
A young girl and her father were among the dead.
Turkey’s biggest city was packed as usual at weekends with shoppers, tourists and families when the blast happened.
Footage taken moments later shows panicked people fleeing the scene.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mr Erdogan called the blast a “treacherous attack” and vowed that its perpetrators would be punished. He said he didn’t yet know who was behind it, but there was “a whiff of terror”.
He said investigations were underway by police and the governor’s office, including reviewing footage of the area.