World Cup chief Hassan Al-Thawadi said between 400 and 500 migrant workers have died as a result of work carried out on tournament-related projects – a higher figure than Qatari officials have cited previously.
In an interview with Piers Morgan broadcast on TalkTV on Monday, Al-Thawadi was asked about the death toll among migrant workers as a result of Qatar’s preparation work for the tournament.
Al-Thawadi said three people died in incidents directly related to the construction of the stadiums, and 37 deaths were attributed to other reasons.
Pressed by Morgan on the death toll among migrant workers as part of wider efforts to prepare Qatar for the World Cup, he said:
“The estimate is around 400, between 400 and 500. I don’t have the exact figure, it’s something that has been discussed. One death is too many, it’s as simple as that.
Al-Thawadi added: “I think every year the health and safety standards at venues improve, at least at our venues, the World Cup venues, the ones we are responsible for, most certainly. “
A spokesperson for Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy confirmed on Tuesday that there were three work-related deaths during the construction of the World Cup stadiums and 37 non-work-related deaths.
“Separate quotes regarding the figures refer to national statistics covering the period 2014-2020 for all work-related fatalities (414) nationwide in Qatar, covering all sectors and all nationalities,” the doorstep added. -speak in a press release.
CNN asked the committee to explain the apparent discrepancy between Al-Thawadi’s reference to migrant workers and his statement’s reference to “all nationalities,” but it did not provide a response.
Read more here