CNN

Men’s world number one tennis player Carlos Alcaraz will miss the Australian Open this month with a leg injury, the 19-year-old Spaniard said on Friday.

In a TweeterAlcaraz said he injured a muscle in his right leg “by an accidental and unnatural movement in training”.

“It’s tough, but I have to be optimistic, recover and look forward. See you in 2024 @AustralianOpen,” he said. wrote.

The Australian Open would have been Alcaraz’s first Grand Slam since winning the 2022 US Open in September.

Last year, Alcaraz won five ATP titles and became the youngest No. 1 in men’s tennis when he won his first Grand Slam title in New York. He is the youngest man since Rafael Nadal to break into the top 10 and win an ATP 1000 title.

At the age of 19 years and 214 days, Alcaraz also became the youngest year-end No. 1 in men’s tennis history, surpassing Lleyton Hewitt’s record set in 2001.

This is not the first tournament that Alcaraz has missed due to injury. He missed the 2022 ATP Finals in Turin, Italy in November to recover from an abdominal injury sustained at the Paris Masters earlier that month.

The Australian Open starts on January 16 in Melbourne.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *