Players could play at Australian Open with COVID: Craig Tiley | Tennis News


MELBOURNE: This month’s players australian open will not be required to take COVID-19[feminine] tests and could play even if they had the virus, tournament director Craig Tiley said Monday.
The health policy, which Tiley said reflected what was happening in the wider community, is a marked departure from the strict protocols that have surrounded the tournament for the past two years.
The 2021 tournament took place in a biosecure bubble with spectators excluded for several days after a virus outbreak in the community, while last year nine-time champion Novak Djokovic was sent off due to his position on the vaccines.
“We just wanted to follow what’s happening in the community right now,” Tiley told reporters at Melbourne Park.
“We’ve taken it a step further by making a recommendation that you stay away when you’re sick, and that our medical staff will continue to monitor that, with the players individually as well.”
Cricketer Matt Renshaw continued to play for Australia in a five-day test match against South Africa in Sydney last week despite testing positive for COVID.
The batsman was isolated from his teammates for the first three days of the match but returned to the locker room after several negative tests.
“We have made it clear to our players, as well as our staff, that if anyone is feeling unwell, stay home,” Tiley added.
“It’s a normalized environment for us and, not dissimilar to cricket, there will potentially be players who compete with COVID.”
Melbourne suffered some of the longest and tightest lockdowns in the world at the height of the pandemic, but recommendations have long since replaced mandates as a cornerstone of the city’s public health policy.



malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *