LOS ANGELES: Alec Baldwin to be charged with manslaughter following the accidental shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the low-budget western”Rust“, a prosecutor said Thursday.
Baldwin was holding the Colt. 45 during rehearsals for the film upon its release, killing Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza in October 2021.
The film’s gunsmith, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who was responsible for the gun, will also be charged with the same crime, New Mexico’s first judicial district attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced.
If convicted, they both face up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
“After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the State of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to bring criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the film crew. of ‘Rust,'” Carmack-Altwies said.
“Under my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”
Baldwin repeatedly said the crew told him the gun was unloaded.
The former ’30 Rock’ star also previously said he didn’t pull the trigger, though experts have questioned that claim.
Assistant director David Halls, who handed the gun to Baldwin and told him it was “cold” – industry talk safety – agreed to plead guilty to careless use of a deadly weapon.
He will serve a suspended sentence and six months probation, according to a statement.
No charges will be filed for Souza’s injury.
A lengthy investigation looked into how live ammunition – and five others – arrived on the New Mexico film set, with the focus on the gunsmith and ammunition supplier.
Investigators found that Gutierrez Reed put the fatal bullet in Baldwin’s gun, instead of using a similar-looking dummy bullet.
Detectives investigating the tragedy spoke of a lax attitude towards on-set security, and crew members later claimed corners were cut.
The accident sent shockwaves through Hollywood and led to calls for a total ban on the use of real guns on set.
Industry experts said there are already strict safety rules in place and the only way an accident like this could happen was if they were ignored.
Baldwin reached an undisclosed settlement with the family of Hutchins, 42, last year.
It was also announced at the time that production on the low-budget film would restart this year.
Widower Matthew Hutchins, who will become executive producer, said “all the main original actors” would return to the set.
Souza said he would dedicate his work on the film “to honoring Halyna’s legacy and making her proud.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *