‘Not even consulted’: Indian wrestlers unhappy with sports ministry’s newly formed Oversight Committee | More sports News



NEW DELHI: the best Indian wrestlers Sakshi Malik, Bajrang Punished, Vinesh Phogat and Sarita Mor Tuesday expressed disappointment that they had not been consulted before the formation of the oversight committee and said they were assured that they would be consulted before the formation.
The union ministry of youth and sports announced on Monday that a watchdog committee had been formed to investigate allegations of sexual harassment made against the Indian Wrestling Federation (WFI) and its leader Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh. Boxing great and Olympic medalist Mary Kom will lead the five-member oversight committee.

“We were assured that we would be consulted before the formation of the oversight committee. It is very sad that we were not even consulted before the formation of this committee. @narendramodi @AmitShah @ianuragthakur”, wrote Vinesh Phogat in a tweet.

Other star wrestlers Sakshi Malik and Bajrang Punia tweeted the same on their official Twitter accounts.
The announcement of this commitment was made on Monday by Sports Minister Anurag Thakur. Thakur announced on Monday that boxer Mary Kom will lead the oversight committee formed to investigate allegations made against the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) and its head Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and other trainers.
“The oversight committee was formed today. Mary Kom will head the oversight committee. Over the coming month, the committee will investigate the wrestlers’ allegations,” Thakur told media in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
“The WFI deputy secretary has been sacked and an oversight committee will begin an impartial investigation so that everything is clear,” Anurag Thakur said.
Meanwhile, the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), which was due to start at 10am on Sunday in Ayodhya, has been canceled amid the ongoing battle between wrestlers and its governing body in the country.
Following the protest of the wrestlers, this meeting was considered to be of the utmost importance. The development comes after the central government on Saturday night suspended WFI deputy secretary Vinod Tomar. Along with this, WFI’s activities were immediately banned until the investigation of the wrestlers’ allegations was completed.
After late night talks with the protesting star wrestlers, Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur announced on Friday night that Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh would “retire” from the day-to-day affairs of the WFI until the “Committee of surveillance” led by the Olympian. MC Mary Kom is completing her investigation into the allegations against him.
The commission of inquiry was given a four-week mandate to submit its report, the minister added. The wrestlers, who were demonstrating at Jantar Mantar, called off their protest after a meeting with union sports minister Thakur on Friday.



malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *