Erling Haaland strikes as Manchester City sink Crystal Palace | Football News

NEW DELHI: Erling Haaland continued his rich vein of form as Manchester City beat crystal palace 1-0 on Saturday. With the win, Manchester City moved within two points of Premier League leaders Arsenal.
Pep Guardiola’s side struggled to break down Palace until Haaland scored from the spot with 12 minutes left at Selhurst Park in the rain.
Haaland’s 34th goal in all competitions since joining from Borussia Dortmund last year was enough to seal City’s fifth victory in their last six league games.
After keeping the pressure on Arsenal, the champions will be hoping Mikel Arteta’s men will clinch when they travel to Fulham for their current game on Sunday.
City weren’t at their best, but the hard-fought win was key to preventing Arsenal from advancing further in the title chase.

Now Haaland and company will focus on the second leg of their Champions League last-16 clash against Leipzig in Manchester on Tuesday, with the tie delicately balanced at 1-1.
Palace are on the longest current winless run in the Premier League, failing to take maximum points from any of their 10 games in 2023, a dismal streak that leaves them just four points above the relegation zone. .
Guardiola has left Kevin De Bruyne and Kyle Walker on the bench, with the latter’s exile coming just days after police opened an investigation into allegations the England defender exposed himself indecently at a bar.
City got off to a good start as Rodri’s powerful volley was parried by Palace keeper Vicente Guaita.
Ruben Dias’ attempt to turn in the rebound was blocked by Jeffrey Schlupp before Jack Grealish fired a few moments later.
City were nearly caught off guard when Manuel Akanji was forced back to block Wilfried Zaha’s shot after Phil Foden carelessly returned the ball.
Guardiola has claimed Foden is back to his best after a difficult season for the England playmaker.
But Foden struggled in the first half and Guardiola was on his feet barking at his star when his misplaced pass went straight to Palace’s Luka Milivojevic.
Haaland scored his first Premier League hat-trick against Palace in August as City came from two goals down at half-time to win 4-2.
Haaland should have given City the lead midway through the first half of the rematch but went six yards after Nathan Ake’s cross picked him out.
The Norwegian striker again threatened with a low cross shot that Guaita blocked at the near post, with the rebound drilled wide by Haaland.
City maintained territorial control in the second half and Jack Grealish quickly won a free kick, whose 25-yard strike from Foden drew a good save from Guaita.
Julian Alvarez, sent in for Foden, squandered a golden opportunity to break the deadlock as the Argentine World Cup winner burst into flames after his nimble trick opened up the Palace defence.
Alvarez’s long-range effort was too close to Guaita soon after, but City pressure was mounting and they struck in the 78th minute.
Michael Olise’s reckless challenge on Ilkay Gundogan was ruled a penalty and Haaland stepped up to send Guaita the wrong way.
Haaland wasted a chance to kill Palace when he headed for the Grealish cross.
The miss meant City had to survive a nervous final, with Ederson saving Eberechi Eze, before they could finally expire.
(With contributions from AFP)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GreenLeaf Tw2sl