The wrestlers also claimed that the higher court decision is not a setback and that they will decide how to proceed after consulting with their elders.
Wrestlers Protest: Live Updates
“We respect the Supreme Court’s order, the protest will continue,” said Rio Olympics bronze medalist Sakshi Malik said. “The Supreme Court’s order is not a setback, it did what it could in this case,” she added.
“We have all the options open, and we will decide after consultation with the seniors”, Vinesh Phogat said.
Wrestlers have been protesting since April 23, demanding the arrest of Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) President Brij Bhushan, alleging he sexually harassed seven female wrestlers, including a minor.
However, the high court closed the proceedings, noting that the FIRs had been registered and that the seven plaintiffs had been given adequate security.
A bench headed by Chief Justice DY Chandrachud refused to hear an oral plea from the lawyer representing the wrestlers to have the ongoing inquest overseen by a retired or serving High Court judge.
“You have come here with specific prayers for the registration of the FIR and the safety of the plaintiffs. Now both of your prayers have been answered.
“If you have other grievances, you can very well go to the tribunal de grande instance or to the jurisdictional magistrate,” said the seat, adding that it is closing the procedure for the moment.
(With PTI entries)