Here are the main developments:
* A statement from the Army Northern Command said its personnel conducted “relentless intelligence-driven operations to track down a group of terrorists ambushed on an army truck in the Tota Gali area of Bhata Dhurian in the Jammu region last month”.
2 army personnel killed, 4 injured in terrorists blast in J&K Rajouri
* “Based on specific intelligence on the presence of terrorists in Kandi forest in Rajouri sector, a joint operation was launched on 3 May. At around 7:30 am on Friday, a search team established contact with a group of terrorists well entrenched in a cave.The area is thickly vegetated with rocky and steep cliffs.
* The statement said other teams from the vicinity were directed to the venue and injured personnel were evacuated to Udhampur Command Hospital.
Jammu & Kashmir: Indian security forces thwart infiltration attempt in Kupwara, two terrorists killed
* According to initial reports, a terrorist group is trapped in the area, he said, adding, “There is a probability of casualties in the terrorist group and the operation is ongoing.”
* Meanwhile, mobile internet facilities in the Rajouri area have been suspended, officials said.
Some incidents that happened recently-
J&K police killed two LeT terrorists in joint operation in Baramulla
Jammu and Kashmir Police in a joint operation with Army (29RR) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) (2nd Bn) killed two terrorists linked to proscribed terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in Baramulla, according to a statement official Thursday.
“The terrorists have been identified as Shakir Majid Najar and Hanan Ahmad Seh, both residents of Shopian,” the statement added.
According to the release, acting on specific input related to the presence of terrorists in Wanigam Payeen and Kreeri area of Baramulla, a joint cordon and search operation was launched by Police, Army (29RR) and SSB (2nd Bn ) in the area.
Police arrest terrorist LeT in joint operation in Shopian
Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday, in a joint operation with the security forces, arrested an associated terrorist linked to the proscribed terrorist group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in Shopian.
Police recovered incriminating materials, weapons and ammunition from the possession of Tanveer Ahmad Wani, son of Bashir Ahmad Wani, a resident of Daramdora, Shopian.
“Based on specific inputs regarding the presence of terrorists in Daramdora Keegam Shopian, a joint police team together with Army (44RR) and CRPF (14Bn) launched a cordon and search operation in the said area. During the search, a associated terrorist connected with proscribed terrorist group LeT has been arrested,” a JK police official said.
Counter Terrorist Measures Needed Now – Jaishankar at SCO meeting
Claiming that terrorism is a major threat, Foreign Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Friday said that counter-terrorism measures are the need of the moment.
Speaking at the Shanghai Organization Corporation (SCO) foreign ministers meeting in Goa, Jaishankar said that the financial channels for terrorist activities must be seized and blocked to curb all such activities.
On the second day of the SCO Foreign Ministers meeting, he welcomed all his counterparts, members of the SCO.
He said that the fight against terrorism is one of the original mandates of the SCO, and as this threat continues, steps must be taken to stop terrorism.
Jaishankar also said that there can be no justification for terrorism and it must be stopped in all its forms.
(With contributions from agencies)