Mirwaiz: 2 accused arrested 33 years after killing Mirwaiz Mohammad Farooq: J&K Police | News from India

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir police have arrested two people involved in the killing of Mirwaiz Mohammad Farooq33 years after the then high priest of the Valley fell to the bullets of Hizbul Mujahideen’s assassins, a senior police officer said here on Tuesday.
Special DG CID Jammu and Kashmir RR swain said the State Investigation Agency (SIA) arrested Javed Bhat and Zahoor Bhat who had managed to escape along with two others after the killing of Mirwaiz Faroq at his residence on May 21, 1990.
Officials, however, did not divulge other details such as when and from where the accused were arrested.
Ayoub Dar, also a defendant, had already been arrested and sentenced to life imprisonment by a court.
“The four defendants were at large. The main accused Abdullah Bangaroo was killed in an encounter while another accused Ab Rehman Shigan was killed in an encounter during the investigation.
“Javed Bhat alias Azmat Khan and Zahoor Bhat alias Bilal managed to escape. It was Zahoor who pulled the trigger after entering the bedroom of the Mirwaiz,” Swain told reporters here.
He said the fugitives were arrested “by the long arms of the law after more than 30 years. Now they will face trial.”
“By this all accused of Mirwaiz the killings have been brought to justice,” he added.
Swain said the two, arrested on the basis of intelligence developed by the SIA, were handed over to the CBI.
Providing the details, Swain said Javed and Zahoor had gone underground and had been hiding in Nepal and Pakistan, among other places, all these years, before returning to Kashmir a few years ago.
“By keeping a low profile, changing address and residence, they have avoided the gaze of law enforcement. They are now liable to immediate trial in a designated TADA court in Delhi which has already completed the trial against Dar,” he added. .
According to the police, Mirwaiz Farooq was killed by Hizbul Mujahideen cadres, accusing him of being a “peaceful” and an “Indian agent”.
“A FIR Case No. 61/1990 was registered at Nageen Police Station, Srinagar to investigate the crime. Later, on 11 June 1990, the government at the time transferred the investigation to the CBI,” he said swain.
Before killing Mirwaiz, all five Hizb terrorists had gone to Pakistan for training in 1990. Back in Srinagar, Bangroo received instructions in April 1990 from his ISI supervisor in Pakistan to eliminate Mirwaiz.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GreenLeaf Tw2sl