Pakistan is headed for imminent disaster and could face a situation similar to that of East Pakistan: Imran Khan

LAHORE: Pakistan is heading for imminent disaster and it could face disintegration, former Prime Minister Imran Khan has warned, accusing the ruling coalition of plotting a plot to pit the military against his party.
In a video-linked address from his Zaman Park residence here on Wednesday, 70-year-old Pakistani leader Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) said the only way to end political instability was to organize elections.
“PDM leaders and Nawaz Sharif, who is fleeing to London, care least whether the country’s constitution is desecrated, state institutions are destroyed or the Pakistani military earns a bad name. They are looking out for their own interests to save the looted wealth alone,” he said.
“I see a scary dream in which the country is heading towards an imminent disaster. I call on the powers that be to let the elections take place and save the country,” Khan said as police surrounded his home.
Speaking about the unrest following his arrest at the High Court in Islamabad on May 9, Khan said it was a “pure conspiracy” hatched and carried out allegedly on behalf of the ruling coalition and of the interim government of Punjab.
“It is high time for the powers that be to rethink wisely, otherwise the country could face a situation similar to that of East Pakistan,” he said, quoted by the Dawn newspaper.
Defending his criticism of the country’s military, Khan said, “When I berate the military, it’s like I’m criticizing my children.”
“I have repeatedly stated that I do not interfere in the internal affairs of state institutions. I did not intervene when I confirmed reports that the former army chief was conspiring against me,” he said, claiming that some politicians were telling the current army chief that Khan would de-notify him if elected to office.
Reacting strongly to the Punjab government’s claim that some 40 terrorists are hiding in his Zaman Park residence, Khan said the government must search the house legally after obtaining a search warrant because his own life was also at risk. in danger in the presence of terrorists.
“But don’t make this an excuse to launch a crackdown on the biggest political party in the country, the PTI,” he said.
Khan said a recent survey revealed that 70% of the Pakistani population were on the side of the PTI and the remaining 30% of all parties that are part of the ruling coalition.
Following his address via video link, Khan allowed electronic and digital media representatives access to his residence to see for themselves that there were no terrorists inside Zaman Park.
Reporters who visited the house later reported that there were only domestic workers and a few policemen inside the house.
Earlier today he tweeted: “Probably my last tweet before my next arrest. The police surrounded my house”.
He also posted videos showing police taking positions outside his house.
Khan’s arrest on 9 May by paramilitary Pakistani Rangers at IHC premises sparked unrest in Pakistan. For the first time in Pakistan’s history, protesters stormed the army headquarters (GHQ) in Rawalpindi and also burned down the house of a corps commander in Lahore.
Police have killed 10 people in violent clashes while Khan’s party says 40 of its staff lost their lives in gunfire from security personnel.
On Monday, senior army officers pledged to bring to justice the arsonists who attacked civilian and military facilities through a trial under the country’s relevant laws, including the Pakistan Army Act and the Official Secrets Act.
Khan was ousted from power in April last year after losing a vote of no confidence in his leadership, which he said was part of a US-led plot targeting him because of its independent foreign policy decisions on Russia, China and Afghanistan.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GreenLeaf Tw2sl