SYDNEY: David Warner called on Cricket Australia on Sunday to ‘open up’ and discuss overturning his lifetime coaching ban, saying he looked forward to having an ‘honest conversation’ with the board .
Following the ball tampering scandal in South Africa in 2018, former skipper Steve Smith was stripped of his captaincy and banned from leading Australia for two years, while Warner was sentenced to a more severe penalty – a lifetime ban from directing.
However, several former and current players, including Test skipper pat cumminsdemanded an end to Warner’s lifetime ban.
“It hasn’t really been put on the table,” Warner said as quoted by ESPNCricinfo.
“As I’ve said many times off the record, it’s up to the board to reach out to me and open their doors. Then I can sit down and have an honest conversation with them.” he added.
Warner, Smith and batsman Cameron Bancroft have been banned from playing domestic or international cricket as punishment for their roles in the infamous ball tampering scandal.
Warner and Smith had been banned for a year, while Bancroft had been suspended for nine months.
Warner, 35, will be featured in the Big Bash League for the first time since 2013 after signing a two-year contract with the Sydney Thunder.
The captaincy is open to Sydney Thunder after their former skipper Usman Khawaja moved to Brisbane Heat.
However, Warner said he could be a leader without having the title.
“I have the experience, I’m a leader in the team anyway without having a title,” he said.
“That’s what I want, to give back, so if they (the young players) can take my head off in any way, my phone is still there, they have my number and they can see me when I’m at the training facilities,” he said.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.