The Australian, who beat Chilean Cristian Garín in straight sets to reach the semi-finals, was due in court next month in Canberra after he allegedly assaulted his former girlfriend late last year, according to reports. Australian information.

Asked about the incident after his latest win, Kyrgios said he was advised not to speak openly about the matter but wanted to tell his side of the story.

“Obviously I have a lot of thoughts, a lot of things that I want to say, kind of on my side about it,” he told reporters.

“Obviously I’ve been advised by my lawyers that I can’t say anything at this time.

“I get that everyone kind of wants to ask about this and all that, but I can’t tell you too much right now.”

After his staging at the start of the tournament – which ended in a fine and led Stefanos Tsitsipas to say the Aussie had a ‘wicked side’ to his character – Kyrgios’ quarter-final match was more moderate and the 27-year-old relied on his talent and mentality to reach his first Grand Slam semi-final.

Reports of the court summons broke a day before he was due to take to the grass pitch and, after saying it didn’t really affect him, Kyrgios said it was difficult.

“It didn’t really affect me at all, to be honest with you,” he said. “Obviously, seeing him, I’m only human.

“Obviously I read about it, and obviously everyone was asking questions. It was tough. It was tough to just focus on the mission at hand.

“It was the Wimbledon quarter-finals today. I know deep down that’s what I was prepared for. It didn’t affect my preparation at all.

“I knew I was staying true to myself and I gave my best performance today.”

Barrister Jason Moffett, who would represent Kyrgios, told the Canberra Times, which first reported the news, that he had been told of the court summons, which was ‘in the context of a domestic relationship’ .

“The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously,” Moffett told The Canberra Times.

“As the matter is before the court…he has no comment at this stage, but in due course we will issue a press release,” Moffett added.

Amid reports that Kyrgios had been formally charged, Kyrgios’ legal representative clarified in a statement sent to CNN, “At this time, the allegations are not considered fact by the Court, and Mr. Kyrgios is not considered charged with an offense until the first impression.

“Until the Court formally agrees that the Prosecution will pursue a charge and that the charge before the Court is to be applied to the person subpoenaed, it may be misleading for the public to describe the subpoena other than a formal instruction to appear in the face of allegations the precise nature of which is neither certain at this stage nor confirmed by either the Prosecution or Mr. Kyrgios.”

Kyrgios is set to face Rafael Nadal in the Wimbledon semi-finals on Friday.

CNN’s Amy Woodyat and Matt Foster contributed reporting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.