When asked about the charge on Tuesday, Australian police told CNN in a statement: “ACT Policing can confirm that a 27-year-old man from Watson is due to appear in ACT Magistrates’ Court on August 2 in relation to a charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021.”

Barrister Jason Moffett, who would represent Kyrgios, told The Canberra Times, which first reported the news, he had been made aware of the case, which was “in the context of a domestic relationship”. Moffett said his client was aware of the charge.

CNN has reached out to Moffett for comment.

“The nature of the allegation is serious and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously,” Moffett told The Canberra Times.

“As the matter is before the court…he has no comment at this stage, but in due course we will issue a press release,” Moffett added.

Kyrgios, who is set to face Chilean Cristian GarĂ­n on Wednesday at Wimbledon, has reached his first Grand Slam quarter-final in seven years.

CNN has contacted Wimbledon to find out if these allegations will affect his participation in the tournament.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.