Ricardo dos Santos, a Portuguese sprinter, was arrested early Sunday morning while driving in the British capital. Dos Santos had previously been stopped and searched by the same police department alongside his partner and child in July 2020.

In a series of tweets, dos Santos posted dashcam footage from his car of Sunday’s incident that showed the sprinter coming to a stop and several police officers then approaching the vehicle.

In the tweetdos Santos expressed his frustration.

“Not surprised I had to go through this again. Last night as I was driving home, 7 armed @metpoliceuk officers stopped me because they thought I was on the phone while I was driving. To their request, I stopped when it was safe to do so,” the thread began. .

“After stopping me, two officers ran to each side of the car, a clenched fist banged on my window and tried to open the car door. Not knowing how to use a Tesla handle, he got out his truncheon out of frustration, ready to smash the glass,” dos Santos said in his post.

“Annoyed that 2 years later nothing has changed,” dos Santos posted.

The Metropolitan Police released a statement issued on Twitter, suggesting the 27-year-old didn’t stop in time. The statement said: “We are aware of images on social media showing part of a stop on a car.

“At approximately 4:00 a.m. on Sunday August 14, armed officers were on routine patrol in a marked police vehicle. They saw a car traveling east…and were concerned that the driver was using a cell phone while driving.

“Officers clearly signaled the car to stop but it didn’t and they called for further assistance. The driver pulled over about 5 minutes later…and officers explained why. they wanted to stop the vehicle.

“We have since reached out to the driver via Twitter to invite him to contact us should he wish to discuss this matter further.”

Dos Santos responded to the police statement on Sunday with another Tweeterstating that he only showed part of the video because “the rest will be with my lawyer”.
In another statement published on the Metropolitan Police website Twitter On Monday, the service wrote that it had “registered this matter as a public complaint” and “referred it to the IOPC (Independent Office for Police Conduct), recognizing the public interest.”

CNN contacted dos Santos’ representatives for further comment and was told they would not be making an official statement, but referred CNN to an interview he had given to the BBC.

“I put this video out because these things are very much going on…my intention was for people to see, debate and understand that even though the police have been put on special measures, nothing has or will change,” , he told BBC 5Live.

Dos Santos and his partner, Team GB sprinter Bianca Williams, spoke to CNN senior sports analyst Darren Lewis in 2020 about their previous encounter with police.

After the couple, with their then three-month-old son in the car, was stopped and searched by officers, the footage was shared widely on social media.

Williams said in that interview that she was going to have to teach their son that “he can be stopped by the police because of the color of his skin.”

Five Metropolitan Police officers are set to face a gross misconduct hearing in the July 2020 incident following an investigation by police watchdog IOPC.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.