New footage has been released that shows how a deadly Texas school shooting unfolded.
Nineteen children and two teachers were killed when Salvador Ramos targeted Robb Primary School in Uvalde.
Video shows the 18-year-old shooter crashing his pickup truck and entering the building – carrying an AR-15 assault rifle and walking down a hallway unhindered at 11:33 a.m. on May 24.
Moments later, a child is seen coming around the corner and running away.
The police arrive for the first time two and a half minutes later. Two approach the classroom, but retreat after shots are fired.
At 11:52 a.m. more police arrive – armed with guns, wearing bulletproof vests and carrying ballistic shields, but they are seen agitating in the hallway.
At 12:30 p.m., another officer stops to get hand sanitizer.
At 12:50 p.m. – 77 minutes after the shooter entered the school – officers entered the classroom and killed him.
Footage was recorded from CCTV in the school hallway, and portions were published by the Austin American-Statesman newspaper and KVUE.
Delays in law enforcement’s response have been the subject of federal, state, and local investigations into the massacre and its aftermath.
The families of the victims have campaigned for the footage to be released and are expected to view the full recording this weekend.
The result of an investigation by the Texas state legislature is also expected to be released.
Residents of Uvalde have been angered by what the footage shows, and at a council meeting on Tuesday night they cried for action and demanded the police face the consequences.
Earlier this month, a report from the Texas Department of Public Safety revealed that a police officer in Uvalde could have shot Ramos before entering the school, but hesitated while waiting for permission from a supervisor.
In a statement, that department’s director, Steve McCraw, said the video provided “horrifying evidence” that law enforcement’s response was a failure.
However, he said the families of those killed should have had the chance to see the footage first, and he was “deeply disappointed” by the newspaper’s decision to publish the video.
Brett Cross, whose 10-year-old son Uziyah Garcia died in the shooting, said: “We’re tired of seeing things after the media gets hold of them. Nobody tells us anything. is disrespectful not just to us, but to the memories of our children.”