LONDON: Rishi, candidate for the leadership of the Conservative Party, of Indian origin Sunak said he knew he was behind British Foreign Secretary Liz framework in the race for British Prime Minister, but he doesn’t think racism is to blame for it. Sunak said so in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.
Sunak was born in the UK to a Kenyan-born Punjabi Hindu father, who has ancestral roots in Gujranwala, now Pakistan, and a Tanzanian-born Punjabi Hindu mother with family roots in India.
Gujranwala-born Tory donor Lord Ranger recently said Britain would be seen as racist if Sunak lost the leadership election, while The Times quoted Sunak loyalists over the weekend as saying Sunak had been victim of a “bit of latent racism” from the members.
“I absolutely don’t think that was a factor in anyone’s decision,” Sunak told the Telegraph. “I just don’t think that’s fair. I was chosen as MP for Richmond…Our members rightly put merit above all else. I’m sure when they think about this, they’re just figuring out who’s the best person to be prime minister…Gender, ethnicity and everything else will have nothing to do with it.”
During his opening speech during the first election campaign in Leeds, Sunak said that the Sun had shone so bright during the election campaign that someone complimented him saying, “Wow, you have a great tan”, which sparked laughter in the audience.
Sunak told the Telegraph he felt the issue of his tax hike dominated the contest too much and he didn’t get the chance to talk about his vision for Britain, which included encouraging businesses to invest in new machinery, equipment and research and development, reform capital markets after Brexit to funnel money to fast-growing businesses, reforming the NHS and ensuring that every UK child gets a world-class education.
Yet Truss has been in the lead since the battle for British Prime Minister moved from the House of Commons to the full party membership.
Betting exchange firm Smarkets gives Truss a 90 per cent chance of succeeding Boris Johnson as prime minister while Sunak’s chances of winning the Tory leadership race have plummeted to just 10 per cent.
Sunak and Truss are currently on a six-week campaign tour to persuade some 200,000 Conservative Party members, only a tiny percentage of whom are of Indian descent, to vote for them.

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL NETWORKS

FacebookTwitterinstagramKOO APPYOUTUBE



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.