NEWNow you can listen to the articles from Fox News!
An ISIS-affiliated terrorist group killed around 30 people in an attack in Mali last week, according to a coalition of militias that were forced to leave the area.
The Platform, a coalition of pro-government militias, says they were attacked by hundreds of ISIS-allied militants on Tuesday in Mali’s Gao region, according to Reuters. The assault resulted in the deaths of three Platform fighters, along with some 30 civilians.
“Reinforcements sent by the Platform reached the city where they discovered the massacre, as well as hundreds of women and children who roamed the city without food for two days,” the Platform wrote in a statement.
The group says the militants also burned down grocery stores and ransacked shops, according to Reuters.
BLINKEN FLIES TO THE “SUPERPOWER” BATTLEFIELD IN AFRICA
THE WAR IN RUSSIA WILL HAVE A ‘STRACTING’ EFFECT ON FOOD DEFICIENCY IN AFRICA: ‘YOU WILL SEE THE FALL OF GOVERNMENTS’
The assault comes weeks after French troops withdrew from Mali, a country some have called “Africa’s Afghanistan”.
The country saw 2,700 deaths in the first six months of 2022. France had maintained a group of 5,100 peacekeeping troops in the region, but withdrew in mid-August due to anti-European sentiment.
Mali is currently run by a military junta, which took power in a coup in 2021. The government has rejected airspace rights for German UN planes, leading the country to severely restrict its operations as well. in the area.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Meanwhile, that of Russia Wagner mercenary group he moved into the country, flaunting loads of weapons the same day French troops left the country.