Pakistan Long march paused until Imran Khan recovers; the protests continue

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Imran Khan on Saturday urged his supporters to continue protesting against three people he accuses of plotting his assassination, Geo News reported.
PTI Secretary General Asad Umar announced on Friday that the PTI would hold a nationwide protest at 5 p.m. today.
The party leader said he too would join the protesters in Liberty Chowk, Lahore.
Announcing this on Twitter, Asad Umar said the PTI would hold protests in all major cities today a day after PTI leader Imran. Khan was the victim of a gun attack – an assassination attempt, Geo News reported.
Imran Khan believes the bullets were fired at him at the behest of three people, including Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, the country’s interior minister Rana Sanaulla and a senior ISI official, Major General Faisal.
Imran Khan revealed on Friday he was already aware of the imminent danger as he broke his silence a day after he was shot in an “assassination attempt”.
Speaking to PTI supporters at Shaukat Khanum Hospital – where he is receiving treatment for his injuries – Khan said: “I had already learned that there was a plan in place to kill me somewhere between Wazirabad and Gujarat.”
Responding to Khan’s allegations, the country’s military dismissed the statement as “baseless”, Geo News reported.
According to a press release from Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the PTI President’s “baseless and irresponsible allegations against the institution and in particular a senior army officer are absolutely unacceptable and unjustified”.
Meanwhile, Information Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb said Khan wanted to file a first information report (FIR) of his own choosing regarding the attack on him instead of following the law, Geo News reported.
In a statement, Aurangzeb said police and investigative agencies were barred from entering Shaukat Khanum Hospital.
The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) has taken over the investigation into the attack on PTI Chairman Imran Khan.
Security sources said the main defendant Naveed was taken to the CTD cell in Chung, where he is being questioned by the CTD and other agencies, Geo News reported.
Sources said it has also been decided to perform a polygraph test on the suspect, while a case against the incident will be filed at the CTD or a local police station.
At least 24 people, including PTI leaders, have been arrested in a case for protesting the attempted assassination of PTI Chairman Imran Khan.
According to police, the named protesters put up resistance to police and damaged government property.
An FIR in the case said protesters attacked police and FC staff with sticks and threw rocks at them, which injured nine FC staff and five cops, Geo News reported.
PTI chief Shibli Faraz said Imran Khan would be transferred home within two days.
Faraz said a full investigation into Khan’s assassination attempt should take place because it was not the act of any individual, Geo News reported.
“It was not done by one person, there is a conspiracy behind it,” he added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GreenLeaf Tw2sl