Despite his relentless efforts, Nadal was unable to fully recover from a hip injury sustained during the match Australian Open in January.
Nadal has expressed his disappointment with the progression of the injury he sustained in Australia and said 2024 could be the last year of his career.
“I will try to be 100% ready for next year, which I believe will be the last year of my professional career,” Nadal told reporters at a news conference.
“I won’t set a date for my return. I’ll see how my body responds and figure it out from there…if I can come back until the end of the year for Davis Cup.”
“We can’t imagine how tough this decision was. We will definitely miss you at Roland-Garros this year. Take care to come back stronger on the pitch. Hope to see you next year in Paris,” the club official tweeted. ‘French Open. Twitter management.
Nadal, who has dominated the clay court season for years, has competed at Roland Garros every year since he won the first of his 22 men’s major titles in Paris in 2005.
“If I continue playing right now, I don’t think I can be there next year… to be able to play the tournaments I want to say goodbye to those who supported me.
“The evolution of the injury I suffered in Australia didn’t go as I would have liked. I lost goals on the road and Roland Garros becomes impossible.
“Right now, I won’t be able to be at Roland Garros. With what that tournament is for me, you can imagine how difficult it is.”
The French Open starts on May 28.
(With Reuters input)