Ramiz Raja assures ICC officials no decision taken on boycotting next year’s 50-over World Cup in India: Source | Cricket News


KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board (pcb) told ICC officials he had threatened to boycott next year’s 50-plus World Cup in India to pressure the neighboring country into sending his team for the Asian Cup , according to sources.
The hosting rights for the 2023 edition of the 50+ Asian Cup have been awarded to Pakistan by the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) as a precursor to the marquee World Cup in India (October -November 2023).
In October, the president of the ACC and the secretary of the BCCI Jay Shah said India would not travel to Pakistan next year for the 50+ Asian Cup – likely to be held in September 2023 – after which the PCB threatened to pull out of the World Cup .
But, it is learned that PCB Chairman Ramiz Raja has told International Cricket Council officials that the Council has not taken any decision not to send his team to India for the World Cup at age 50.
ICC officials, including chief executive Geoff Allardice, were in Pakistan as guests to watch the home Test series against England.
“Ramiz assured ICC officials that the PCB had made no decision not to send its team to India for the World Cup nor was it in favor of boycotting such an event. , but due to the strained relations between the two countries, the PCB had to lobby for the Indian board to send their team for the Asian Cup,” a source familiar with the development told PTI.
The source said that ICC officials raised concerns with Ramiz over his statements that Pakistan will not participate in next year’s World Cup in India if the Indian team does not participate in the Asian Cup.
According to the source, Ramiz also told ICC officials that the PCB would not agree to the 2025 champions trophy being moved from the country on the grounds that India could not travel to Pakistan.
“Ramiz was very clear that Pakistan would not be receptive to moving the tournament elsewhere because of India as they had already started investing heavily in building or renovating infrastructure for the ICC event. “, said the source.
“Ramiz reminded ICC officials that the board, which included India, had granted the rights to host the Champions Trophy to Pakistan, so there should be no confusion as to where the tournament will be held on schedule.”
India have not visited Pakistan since the 2008 Asian Cup, and after the terrorist attack in Mumbai on November 26 of the same year, the bilateral series scheduled for early 2009 was cancelled.
Pakistan traveled to India for a short six-game clean-ball streak in 2012, but for the past 10 years there has been no two-sided cricket. The two teams have only faced each other at various ICC and ACC events.



malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *